Monday, June 22, 2009

001.) Introduction.

(it was 100 degrees. I was sweating. deal with it)



I'm not much of a blog person, let me tell you this right now and let me tell you that I know this because I've had quite a few.

As a teenager (eight years seems like such a long time ago) I was not immune to the razzle-dazzle of internet blogs and created one on UJournal with a backward pen-name which did nothing to hide my state of psychotic obsession with death and disease and disorder (but aren't all kids like that?). I wrote about nothing and somehow out of that nothing came a flurry of entries, all written in the short hand of a fourteen-year-old who could neither type nor spell. I can't remember what exactly I wrote about, but I do remember that I managed to scare at least one person with my blog entries, a slew of "OMG hes so cl and cut a i l0v3 him" I am sure and I do not blame him for running away at the very sight of me, his feet pounding the tile high school floor with the weight of sheer terror.

I moved on to Blurty after that, where I learned two very valuable things:

1.) It's always best to make your posts friends only. That way, if somewhere down the line you forget your password and your e-mail account fades away into the nether from lack of use - well, a friends only blog will save you a whole heck of a lot of embarrassment.

2.) It's a wise thing to do, especially when in high school, to not tell your friends that you have an internet blog. This is an optional rule of thumb, of course, but if you do have friends who leaked your UJournal account to the new, freakishly tall boy in your class (who later quaked at the mere mention of your name) it's not a bad thing at all to leave those "RL" friends out of the loop and meet new people on this new internet blog environment.

On Blurty I did just that. I also took up role playing, often finding myself playing male rock stars because I could not play a female all that well. Never did I consider that a strange thing, being a lady and playing a man, because I was too busy learning about HTML. In the blogging word, HTML refers to (and I may be wrong) the art of layout design - and, boy, did I burn through a lot of layouts. Every three days, a week at the most, I would have a new background image and scroll boxes and embedded music and images on my "Friends Only" post. I went layout crazy. I created an account for the sole purpose of storing my poetry (poetry I'm ashamed and horrified to admit is mine), I created a few hundred role play accounts under the name of any celebrity I could find pictures of on the internet and knew just enough about to sound convincing in the game. All so that I could have fancy layouts.

And then I started making icons. I must have created thousands in the lifespan of my blogging years (roughly five), the early models all covered in blurred text.

In spite of my forays into the art and design of my numerous blogs, my writing grew as well. I still couldn't type and my spelling was atrocious, but I wasn't writing about nothing anymore. Granted, my life wasn't all that interesting, but I was going through enough turmoil to vent on a daily basis. I was going through enough dung, in fact, that when I learned about LiveJournal and GreatestJournal I created accounts there as well and closed down, boarded up, all of my Blurty accounts to move to the latter site (there's something about LiveJournal I've never been able to warm up to).

On GreatestJournal I again created multiple accounts with multiple layout changes. I made a valiant effort to change my layouts only once a month in order to focus on my writing - after all, that is what a blog is for, is it not? - and my writing did improve. So much so that instead of being five characters at once in an RPG I played only one and if I do say so myself I made a wonderful Billy Martin. (Sweet mother of - that was a long time ago).

I also began to write fan fiction. I wasn't very good at it, but I wrote a lot of it and joined fan fiction communities on the blog and joined fan fiction websites as well. I wrote so much of the stuff, so often and on so many sites and in so many different categories, that I fell into that cozy little world of the blog.

Still, regardless of the cocoon, my blogging began to suffer. It wasn't that I was too busy "in RL" or that my life had lost the deep stinking pit of manure to write about. It wasn't even the ever increasing love I had toward fan fiction writing and the time I took to write it.

I just stopped updating my blog. Long periods of time would pass, days to weeks, weeks to months, before I felt obligated to write something down and fill in my friends about my life. I moved three times, I went back to school, I moved again and got a job. Years passed. The thought of a blog rarely entered my mind.

I've always been like this. As a kid I would get diaries and then stop writing in them after a week. The longest I ever went in a physical diary was three-quarters the way through my freshmen year of high school (and even that was sporadic at best). The longest I went on a single blog was on GreatestJournal and I can only guess that that was three years or so.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this blog is a stupid thing for me to attempt.

My MySpace account? Dying, if not dead already. My Facebook account? Deactivated, reactivated, deactivated again. My Twitter account? That might survive for a while, if ever I get the hang of it. Even my other blog on this site, dortamklavier, would be in big trouble if I wasn't putting my mystery novel there. I can't even guarantee that.

So, I'm going to try this.

I'm going to write about my life, about my plans for my novel(s) and my writing in general. I'm going to attempt to scribe my daily observations and complaints, hopes and fears. I'm going to do all of that and more without icons, without layouts or polls or music or the dreaded friends list.

If I'm going to do this at all, I'm going to do it without any distractions.

Thank you and have a good day.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin