Wednesday, July 1, 2009

006.) Maybe I'll Run Off to the Circus.

I've been faced with many strange questions in my life ("Are you Asian?" for example, thrown at me from an otherwise nice black kid from across the foyer at MATC; "Your kid's?" for another example, brought to me by a not very nice gentlemen who clearly thought I was a mother (W.T.F., I say) after explaining to him that I was missing the [afternoon Red Sox] baseball game [broadcast on Fox]) - but by far the strangest question I was greeted with earlier this afternoon.

"Are you a clown?"

Was it the pin-up girl pigtails? The plaid shirt, the farmhand jeans? If so, since when do clowns dress in such a manner without their pounds of goofy make-up? I don't believe I wear pounds of goofy make-up because I hardly wear any make-up in the first place.

Perhaps, and more likely, it was the twelve rings (no, I only have eight fingers and two thumbs, thank you very much). Perhaps, and more likely, it was of course my tattoos - in which case I am not a clown but a carnival attraction.

More likely still, this fine specimen of a Red Hatter was just another one of the walking callouses I'm dealt with on Wednesday (the one day a week when the older of the species come out in droves, mean and ugly and demanding 10% off their 25 cent purchase), a walking callous who forgot her spectacles.


No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin