Thursday, July 16, 2009

016.) Spooks Are Fun, Albeit Loud.

I work in a closet - well, that's what we call it anyway. Really, I work in an old trucking building and my "closet" must have been the foreman's office. I say this because there are two sets of doors leading in and out of the room. One set, a pair of french doors, were removed long ago to allow for the heaping shopping carts of clothes to be more easily accessible. The other door leads into a tight hallway with a secondary staircase to the break room, another door to the Doll Lady's workstation (and through that, the store corridor) and yet another door that opens to the front lawn.

No one but the Culligan Man ever uses this wooden door to that tight hallway, and even then when he comes (which is about once a month to replenish our supply of water and salt) he will on occasion go around - ergo bypassing both the metal door to outside and the wooden door to my "closet".

Now, the Culligan Man already came this month.

I'm saying all of this because while I was working yesterday I distinctly heard the wooden door to my office slam shut - with great force. Enough force, in fact, to drown out the radio and shave a few years from my life.

That door slammed closed without ever opening.



(said door which closed without ever opening)



It could have been the GM showing his son (who volunteered) around - but he did that more than an hour later. It could have been one of my coworkers but, one was at the other side of the building running the register, one was at the other building weeding and cutting hedges, one was in the warehouse - yes - but told me he'd never gone to that part of the building with the door (and why would he need to? and if he had wanted to visit me he wouldn't have gone around and back to do it). My boss was unaccounted for, but she's always nice enough to announce her presence. Two of my other coworkers were out ill, and the Doll Lady already put in her one day this week on Monday.

It could have been a customer entering the Doll Lady's office (clearly marked with a bold red sign proclaiming "EMPLOYEES ONLY" and the window obscured by curtains) to steal toys - like one man did with an entire "I found this in the hall and it's not marked" box of action figures - but certainly they wouldn't slam the door with such a passion as to announce their presence.

So, yes.

That door slammed closed without ever opening.

(Thank you, Chris. It's nice to see/hear/sense you having fun)

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin